Turmeric is actually very good for you, it has a lot of medical benefits. It also helps make this soup taste great! The cream in this recipe is made from coconut milk so don’t be alarmed. Honestly I love soups, if you haven’t noticed, and I haven’t had a good tomato soup in a while so this is a blessing.
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon grated ginger
- 2 teaspoon curry powder
- 2 pounds of fire roasted tomatoes (here is a link to figure out how to do that:link)
- 1/2 cup vegetable stock
- 1 15oz can full fat coconut milk (liquids for soup, solids reserved for cream)
- 1 tbsp maple, honey, or agave
For turmeric cream:
- coconut milk solids reserved from 15oz can of milk
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- pinch of salt
- Heat the coconut oil over medium heat.
- Add the onion and cook for 5 minutes. Stir in garlic, ginger, and curry powder and cook for 2-3 minutes until very fragrant.
- In the soup pot, pour tomatoes, stock, and coconut milk reserving coconut milk solids in a small bowl to make the cream.
- Stir in maple, honey, or agave and allow the soup to simmer for 15 minutes.
- After soup has simmered, puree in the blender or with an immersion blender. Taste soup and season with salt and pepper to your liking.
- Meanwhile, add turmeric and a pinch of salt to the bowl of coconut milk solids and whip with a fork.
- Pour soup into bowls, stir in turmeric cream and serve. Maybe you want to garnish them with some cilantro and a side of pita bread? Just a good suggestion.
recipe originally from www.sobremesa-blog.com