Ever since I found this little restaurant in my home town that had lettuce wraps on the menu Ive been looking if the next place I go to has them. I wouldn’t mind eating two whole plates of this, and you get protein, vegetables, and garlic (something chock full of good nutrients, but if you want to make sure you don’t ruin those nutrients let them sit for 10 minutes after you crush it). These things are also great appetizers if you aren’t going for bite sized food and only plan on eating a couple.
photo from http://www.suesnutritionbuzz.com
- 2 pounds boneless chicken cubed
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 onions
- 2 tablespoons steak seasoning (or just make your own with paprika, black pepper, cumin maybe some oregano)
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon minced ginger
- 2 teaspoon crushed garlic
- 1 cup celery or cilantro leaves
- lettuce leaves and rice (optional)
- Heat one tablespoon of olive oil in a cast iron skillet. Add 1/3 sliced onion and saute about 4 minutes till dark brown. Add ginger, garlic and saute 2 minutes
- Add chicken chunks and the steak seasoning, mix, and cook uncovered for about 30 minutes till it dries up.
- Meanwhile add remaining onion and olive oil to a pan. Cook till it get soft brown and caramelized.
- Add 1 teaspoon of fresh pepper, paprika, and salt to the chicken mixture and cook another 2 minutes. Add chopped celery/cilantro leaves and caramelized onion and simmer for 2 minutes.
- Serve hot with rice and/or in lettuce leaves to make a lettuce wrap.
recipe from www.suesnutritionbuzz.com